My influential 2011 report, Designing for Impact, co-authored with Barbara Abrash, has been used by numerous filmmakers, journalists, and digital activists to inform their strategy, and has been cited often in the growing discussion about how to best evaluate how media makes change.
It’s just one in a series of reports and pieces I’ve produced examining the social impact of media. These aren’t academic concepts—I use them in producing my own media projects, and in my consulting practice, helping others craft multimedia productions.
- Producer, Assessing the Impact of Media (AIM) section, Media Impact Funders site (November 2013-present)
- Lessons from Design Thinking for Documentary Filmmakers, Center for Social Media, (February 2011)
- Co-authored chapter in Media and Social Justice, with Pat Aufderheide (Palgrave, 2011)
- Co-author, Beyond the Echo Chamber: Reshaping Politics Through Networked Progressive Media , with Tracy Van Slyke (New Press, 2010)
- Comparing New News Models: How Engagement Strategies and Impact Intersect, Center for Social Media blog, (August 2010)
- Creative Media Policy Can Spur Civic Innovation, Sustaining Democracy in a Digital Age blog, New America Foundation (June 2010)
- Co-author, Spreading the Zing: Reimagining Public Media Through the Makers Quest 2.0, with Sue Schardt of AIR (May 2010)
- Investing in Impact, with Tracy Van Slyke, Center for Social Media (May 2010)
- 5 Needs and 5 Tools for Measuring Media Impact, with Tracy Van Slyke, PBS MediaShift, (May 2010)
- Is There a Master Metric for Evaluating Public Media? PBS MediaShift, (February 2010)
- Voter Protection, Twitter StyleThe American Prospect, (November 2008)
- iPower to the People: The Perils and Promise of Point-and-Click Politics, cover story, In These Times (December 2007)